This exam consists of five questions asking you to analyze the course content, and you should answer four of them in paragraph format. Each question is worth ten points. You should rely primarily on the course readings to answer these questions. If you use outside sources, you must provide a citation. The answers should be typed as a Word document. You should write around 250-500 words per question
Exam 2 questions
1. What conflicting ideas about women’s roles coexisted in the second half of the 19th century, how did these impact women’s lives, and how did women respond?
2. How did concepts of nationalism change from the mid to the late 19th century?
3. How did European society and culture change in the second half of the 19th century, and how did cities represent this change?
4. How did most Europeans in the second half of the 19th century define progress and modernity? Who could benefit from this progress and who could not?
5. Why did some people reject the idea of progress altogether? How did they understand modernity differently from people who celebrated progress? P