By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 3: Explain the significance of social stratification and social inequality for the individual and society.
- Explain whether or not inequality is inevitable.
- Competency 4: Analyze the influence of culture and socialization on both the individual and society.
- Analyze whether or not equal opportunity is possible.
- Competency 5: Evaluate the impact of social change on society and social institutions.
- Examine potential changes to increase equality of opportunity.
- Analyze factors to reverse or erase inequality.
- Competency 6: Demonstrate written and verbal communication skills for effectively presenting sociological concepts, ideas, and analyses.
- Write in a professional style using APA 6th edition referencing and format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
American culture emphasizes self-sufficiency and working hard to get where you want. It is assumed that everyone has the ability to succeed if they work hard enough. You will write a paper applying key concepts from this unit to argue for or against the inevitability of inequality. For this assignment, complete the following:
- If you have not already done so, watch A Film about Races: A Fresh Look at Diversity (link in Resources).
- Explain why or why not you think inequality is inevitable.
- Examine what kinds of changes would help establish greater equality of opportunity for everyone in American society.
- Reflect on ideas of equal opportunity and analyze why or why not you think American society provides everyone with an equal opportunity for success.
- Based on the information in this video and your readings, analyze what factors have contributed to the growth of inequality in the past few decades.
- Analyze factors that could reverse or erase inequality.
- Integrate and reference readings from this unit in your paper. Also be sure to use APA 6th edition format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
- Your paper should be 3–4 pages in length, excluding the cover page and the references page.
Do you need high quality Custom Essay Writing Services?