case study, exploring the death penalty as it relates to juveniles.
In this case study, you will explore the death penalty as it relates to juveniles. Hopefully, this assignment will assist in learning how complex and significant the Miller v. Alabama case was in the juvenile justice system. The completed assignment should use one outside resource, which can come from the following list:
Equal Justice Initiative. (n.d.). Miller v. Alabama. Retrieved from https://eji.org/miller-v-alabama
Miller v. Alabama. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.oyez.org/cases/2011/10-9646
Miller v. Alabama. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.scotusblog.com/miller-v-alabama/
Skelton, C. (n.d.). Miller v. Alabama, 567 U.S. 460 (2012). Retrieved from https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/567/460/
Swift, J. (2013, June 25). Miller v. Alabama: One year later. Retrieved from https://jjie.org/2013/06/25/miller-v-alabama-one-year-later/
Teigen, A. (2017, April 20). Miller v. Alabama and juvenile life without parole laws. Retrieved from http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/miller-v-alabama-and-juvenile-life-without-parole-laws.aspx
Be sure to include the following components in your paper:
- Provide a brief description of the background of the court case.
- Include a discussion on the U.S. Supreme Court decision. What did they consider?
- Include a discussion on the status of the death penalty as it had previously related to juveniles.
- Provide your opinion on the juvenile death penalty and the U.S. Supreme Court’s opinion.
- Given your readings on the three main waivers used in the juvenile justice system to transfer adolescents to adult court, which waiver was best suited for the Miller v. Alabama case? Explain your reasoning.
The completed case study should be at least two pages in length. All sources used must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations in APA style.
The following resource(s) may help you with this assignmen