Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapters 3 and 4 in the textbook, look at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) web page on Public Health Policy, read the article How to Write a Health Policy Brief, and watch the movie Contagion. The full version of this movie is available for rent through Google Play, Netflix, YouTube, iTunes, and Amazon.com for $3.99 or less. This movie is about a contagious disease outbreak. Then, address the following questions, depending on your last name:
- Group A: Last Name A through H
- Do you believe an infectious disease of this nature is possible today or is this simply a Hollywood production for entertainment purposes? Explain your reasoning.
- Do you believe that a disease of a chronic nature could spread as quickly? Explain your reasoning.
- Group B: Last Name I through P
- Examine at least two policies that were enacted by the CDC that attempted to help the situation and their effectiveness.
- Explain one additional policy that you would have enacted if you had been in charge of mitigating this epidemic. How would it differ from a policy to mitigate a chronic disease?
- Group C: Last Name Q through Z
- Examine how public health organizations (World Health Organization, CDC) and medical services (hospitals or doctors) worked together to find out the root cause and mitigate disease epidemics.
- In your view and research, could an epidemic of this nature be prevented, if so how? If not, why do you believe this to be unpreventable?